Do we really need to do aadhar card correction?
Very recently, in September 2018, the Supreme Court in its ruling has categorically upheld the constitutional legality of Aadhaar. It has been mandated by the government that PAN needs to be linked to Aadhaar for filing ITR and also for applying for a new PAN card. For this the details on Aadhaar and PAN should match exactly, in other words, there should not be any spelling errors or incorrect information on Aadhaar card. Also if the Aadhar card remains inactive for 3 years or more then adhar card update needs to happen. In cases where name change has happened after marriage or the information pertaining to address, the mobile number has changed from the registered one or incorrectly captured at the time of adhar card registration, a change in demographic details is needed on the Aadhaar card.
There are two ways by which updates to personal details can be carried out by an individual- online and offline mode. Aadhar Card correction can be done for demographic and biometrics data- Name, Address, DoB, Gender, Mobile Number, Email), as well as Biometrics (Finger Prints, Iris & Photograph) in Aadhaar.
Online changes in the information stored in aadhar card can only be done for Address of a resident by using Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) of UIDAI. For Aadhaar card address change, the resident is required to upload a scanned image of original Proof of Address and self-attested copy of PoA documents for aadhar card correction. For any changes apart from address, they need to be done by making a stopover at permanent enrolment center. Aadhaar enrollment is now possible in 14,000 bank branches and 13,000 post offices nearest you. To locate nearest Aadhaar enrolment center, visit “Locate Enrolment Center”.
How to do aadhar card update or aadhar card correction?
It has become very easy online to correct or update the address on Aadhaar card. UIDAI has listed very basic steps on its website by which anyone can do carry out “how to change address in aadhar card”. Check the below-given process to do Aadhaar card address change online.
Step 1: Visit the official website of UIDAI. Under “Aadhaar Online Services” check the middle section of “Aadhaar Update”
Step 2: Resident is taken to the SSUP website of UIDAI for aadhar card address change. The resident has two options before proceeding on the SSUP site applicable for the ones who do not have valid address proof and for the ones have valid Address Proof/ Received Address validation letter. Depending upon the type of address proof you have click on the option shown in the screengrab below.
Before you start the process to do aadhar update, ensure you have a registered mobile* number to do the UIDAI aadhar update.
*Registered mobile number is the number provided at the time of enrolment or went through the process of aadhar mobile number update later on.
Step 3: Let us take the case where you have a have a valid Address Proof or have received Address validation letter. For a complete list of Valid Documents for Address Update, please refer to the Annexure I
Click on the Update Address button as shown below and the Proceed button on the next screen invoked
Step4: On the screen enter your Aadhaar number/VID. Also, enter the captcha against the Text Verification field. Click on Send OTP button
Step5: On entering the OTP and Captcha, resident is taken to log in to the Update Portal
Step6: Check the box against text Address Update
Step7: Fill relevant information with complete Address. You can opt of local language as well. Please keep in mind that the physical copy of aadhar card address change will be sent to you at your updated address
Step8: After you have completed the necessary information, you need to upload colored scanned copies of PoA – Proof of Address as per the valid PoA list
Step9: After completing the information with proof uploaded, review the data entered in English and if local language selected. No corrections will be entertained by UIDAI after you have submitted the form
Watch on Youtube for detailed steps
Please Note The Following
- While updating the pin code during aadhar address change, in case you find issues with the pin/zip code and data like State/District/Village/Town/City/Post office, please contact UIDAI contact center
- If you want to include the name of your guardian/parent/spouse you can opt for Address Correction option. In the C/O box include the details as part of aadhar card update though it is not mandatory
- Download soft copy of Acknowledgment for future reference and tracking. Note down the Update Request Number (URN). You can also take a print out for future
- There will be a case when the resident does not have a valid Address Proof. In such a case he can get his / her address updated with the aadhaar address of his/her family member/ relative/friend/landlord ( Introducer) where he/she is presently residing after the consent and authentication of the introducer. The address will be validated by sending address validation letter containing a secret code, on the address of introducer. But for this to happen it is mandatory that the resident and introducer have their mobile registered/updated in Aadhaar.
- Updation through the post – Previous means of UIADAI Aadhar update by post has been discontinued effect from July 31, 2018
- Time to reflect changes – takes up to 90 days for updates in Aadhaar to be reflected after completion. The aadhar card update request after being verified by UIDAI representative and approved, you can download your e-Aadhaar
- Aadhar card correction letter – In case an update in Name, Address, Date of Birth and Gender, revised aadhaar card will be delivered at the registered address. In case of aadhar mobile number update or aadhar email id update, a notification will be delivered on the given mobile number or email ID
- UIDAI aadhar update fees – For any aadhar update to Demographic or Biometric details, a nominal fee amount of Rs. 25/- (excluding taxes) to the service provider will be charged from the resident
- Download Aadhar card online after corrections – Yes, e-Aadhaar can be downloaded by clicking “Download Aadhaar” on uidai.gov.in
- Check Aadhaar Status Online – Visit the blog written for more details