Jim Corbett National Park
Named in the honor of famous hunter, author & naturalist Edward James Corbett, Jim Corbett is one of the most well-maintained National Parks in India and was established in 1936 under the name of Hailey National Park. Located in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand, near Nainital, this Jim Corbett Park is heaven for nature lovers as it is full of vegetation, trees, and greenery, which provides a beautiful view for the tourists. The best month for visiting the Jim Corbett National Park is in December during which all the hotels and resorts nearby offer special packages and discounts for visitors. This month sees a spike in tourists in general for Nainital because people take advantage of Christmas vacations and the temperature in this month is best suited for safari ride and chilling out. Also, Jim Corbett National Park is closed during the rainy season – July to September timeframe. If you are planning a visit then the best time slots for visiting the park are in the early morning and evening.
Further, this national park is famous for its wildlife jeep safari which rejuvenates the mind, body, and soul of the tourists as it showers ample doses of natural beauty. Besides the greenery, freshwater, and sunshine, the Jim Corbett National Park is also famous for providing spectacular views of various animals like reindeer, monkeys, elephants, leopards, etc. This is the reason why the famous big-budget Bollywood film Kaal was shot in the park, and it is one of the favorite holiday spots for foreigners and people living in the metropolitan cities as it allows them to take a break from their monotonous routine by spending vacations in the concrete jungles. It is tough not to get dazed by the refreshing natural beauty of the park, and once the tourists soak in the vision, they experience a feeling similar to receiving a therapy, spa, or massage. All in all, it is an experience that fully gratifies the mind and body of the visitors, vacations well spent.
Now, coming to some factual data of the Jim Corbett National Park, it is located in Ramnagar, Nainital District, Uttarakhand. Rich in flora and fauna, it is present on the banks of the Ramganga reservoir. Besides various animals, it is also home to multiple species of birds as well. But, the most lucrative attraction for which the park is famous is the endangered Bengal Tiger. Another fun fact of this forested wildlife sanctuary is that it is one of the thirteen protected areas which are supervised by the World Wide Fund for Nature under their Terai Arc Landscape Program.
Another advantage of the location of the park is that it is close to various other tourist spots like Girijaji Temple, Sitabane Wildlife Reserve, the Jim Corbett Museum and the Corbett Falls. The principal purpose for establishing the sanctuary was to protect Bengal Tiger, and as a consequence, the park was the first to be included under the Project Tiger program. Due to the fantastic location and natural beauty, the park receives a staggering number of 70,000 visitors every year. Further, it houses more than 586 species of animals and birds along with 488 species of plants.
Popular fun activities to do at Jim Corbett National Park are
- Camping – Surrounded by the lush greenery of forests and river, ideal place to camp out with your friends and team
- Wildlife Spotting – Wildlife Lovers can opt for zones Dhangadi Gate and Dhikala, Bijrani and Jhirna Zones are famous for ample wildlife but do keep in mind to not disturb the ecosystem of the place
- Bird Watching – Winter is the best season in India to visit Durga Devi Zone zone of Jim Corbett for bird watchers. One can watch the breathtaking sight of migratory birds during this time period
- Wildlife and Nature Photography – Its natural preserved flora entices the photographers to capture God’s creation in their lenses
- River Rafting – The rapids in the river offers water-related games and activities for adventure seekers.
- Mountain Biking – Purely designed for bikers, the rugged structure invites them for a complete package of sightseeing too
- Rock Climbing – Jim Corbett has few rugged hills which are used for climbing by enthusiasts
- Nature Walks – There is no dearth of nature surrounding Jim Corbett Park though restricted to few zones. But it is worth a visit
- River Crossing – Another way to make the vacations adventure-filled
Safari Options in Jim Corbett
One of the best ways to explore the Jim Corbett Park is taking up elephant safaris, very common among enthusiasts. Elephant, a very gentle, though huge mammals add to the charm of exploring the unknown in a most exciting manner. Though you can find jeep safaris but the thrill and adventure of taking up elephant safari beat the rest forms. One can have close encounters in inaccessible areas of the rugged jungle and also contributes to not adding to the carbon footprint. Do not be afraid in taking an elephant safari in Jim Corbett as the elephants are conducted by expert mahouts of area ensuring the safety of visitors as topmost priority. You can visit the popular zones on elephant safari – Bijrani and Dhikala.
Additionally, there are few more popular form of canter and jeep safaris which you can opt for.
Jim Corbett National Park, as you can see has the complete recipe for fun, learning, peace, and serenity. Thus, don’t overthink and head straight to Jim Corbett to enjoy and create some of the best moments of your life!