How to apply for Canadian student Visa
If you are planning to pursue further studies abroad then Canada is one of the very best destinations to go to. The Canadian academic programs are comprehensive with high quality offered at affordable rates. Annually Canada welcomes thousands of international students who enroll in the well established educational institutions in the country.
There are various Scholarship programs as well that are offered for students to study in Canada. The dedicated support services within and outside the campus offered to help the students adjust to the Canadian norms of life.
Canada student Visa process
In order to apply for a Canada student visa, you will need an acceptance letter from a university where you intend to pursue the academic program. A student permit or a student visa for Canada is to be applied for in the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. Along with the submission for immigration request the acceptance letter from a university, as well as proof of financial support and resources, needs to be submitted. The proof of financial resources should show the availability or the ability to cover tuition fees and living expenses. Clinical records showing good health and proof of completed vaccinations need to be submitted as well. It is mandatory that the applicant has no criminal records.
Below is a Canada student visa checklist of the documents that are required to apply:
- Application form duly filled and signed
- Letter of acceptance from the University.
- Passport and travel documents.
- Two passport size photographs
- Proof of financial support which includes the tuition fees and the monthly expenses.
- A statement of purpose for Canada Student visa.
- Proof of payment of study visa fee.
- In case the university is in Quebec the applicant is required to provide a Certificate d’acceptation du Québec. All the documents are required in original with English and French translation along with a statement from the translator.
- English language proficiency proof.
As per the Canadian High Commission, an overall of 6.5 bands in IELTS is a must for admission into any postgraduate degree in Canada. For admission into an undergraduate degree program, it is required to have a band of 6.0 and no less than 5.5.
The Canadian student visa processing time varies depending on the country that you are applying from. While the processing time for some countries may take up to 20 weeks, some may even be completed with 4-5 weeks. From India, it may take 2-4 weeks in processing the request in case you have an unconditional letter from the institution that you are applying to. Considering the wait time to process the visa it is always advisable to apply for the visa at least 3 to 4 months before the start of the academic session. As per the new visa regulations, if the applicant has any family member who works in Canada or is applying for work permit then, in that case, the Student visa is processed within 2 weeks.
In case you fall into one of the following categories you will not need to apply for a Canada student visa.
- Staff member or family of a foreign representative in Canada accredited by trade and development Canada or by the Department of Foreign Affairs.
- Registered with Indian status in Canada
- Member of foreign armed forces as under the Visiting Forces Act.
- The academic program is for less than 6 months.
The Canada student visa fee in Indian rupees is INR 7,845 which is CAD $ 150. The processing charge is INR 726 and the Courier charge is INR 351. The payment of the fees can be made online at the CIC website or it can be made offline by demand draft in favor of High Commission of Canada or by cash at the VAC. Apart from the Canada student visa fees, there may be additional service charges as applicable in the region.
Canada student visa tracking
After the application is submitted an acknowledgment with a tracking number is received. This tracking number can be used to track the application. Although the tracking does not give information on the stage of the processing it does, however, give information on where the application is located. The website https://www.vfsglobal.ca can be used to track the status of the application.